The only fresh ingredient in this delicious, gourmet pasta salad is fresh basil, which I recommend you grow (in your garden, if you have one, a window box, or a kitchen planter), or, alternately, buy fresh, chop, and keep in your freezer, so you can have it on hand in a pinch. If you keep these ingredients on hand, you can throw this dish together any time at all. This pasta salad is a true crowd pleaser, and makes a great pot-luck or picnic dish.
- 1 package pasta, cooked al dente, tossed with olive oil, and cooled to room temperature (I am partial to Cavatappi – curly macaroni – but any will work fine)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5-6 oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 20 or so kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Handful of fresh or frozen basil, cut into strips
- About 1/4 C olive oil (I often use the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes)
- 2-3 Tbs red wine vinegar (to taste)
- Salt & pepper
- 3/4 C feta cheese, crumbled
Mix it up, taste, adjust seasoning as needed, enjoy!